Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sense organ or cell that responds to mechanical stimuli such as touch or sound.
- ‘The threshold loading test stimulates mechanoreceptors in respiratory muscles.’
- ‘The filling of the stomach also activates the reflex, presumably through the action of gastric mechanoreceptors.’
- ‘This excites neurosensory mechanoreceptors in the wall of the esophagus.’
- ‘Pacinian corpuscles, or pressure receptors, are the largest peripheral mechanoreceptors in mammals.’
- ‘Prey appear to be detected primarily by mechanoreceptors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.