One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sense organ or cell that responds to mechanical stimuli such as touch or sound.
- ‘The threshold loading test stimulates mechanoreceptors in respiratory muscles.’
- ‘Prey appear to be detected primarily by mechanoreceptors.’
- ‘Pacinian corpuscles, or pressure receptors, are the largest peripheral mechanoreceptors in mammals.’
- ‘This excites neurosensory mechanoreceptors in the wall of the esophagus.’
- ‘The filling of the stomach also activates the reflex, presumably through the action of gastric mechanoreceptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.