Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sense organ or cell that responds to mechanical stimuli such as touch or sound.
- ‘The threshold loading test stimulates mechanoreceptors in respiratory muscles.’
- ‘Prey appear to be detected primarily by mechanoreceptors.’
- ‘The filling of the stomach also activates the reflex, presumably through the action of gastric mechanoreceptors.’
- ‘Pacinian corpuscles, or pressure receptors, are the largest peripheral mechanoreceptors in mammals.’
- ‘This excites neurosensory mechanoreceptors in the wall of the esophagus.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.