Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The mechs replaced both flight-control computers and both stab actuators, which we submitted for an engineering investigation.’
- ‘When we walked to the jet, the mechs had the starboard engine-bay door open and were replacing bleed-air ducts.’
- ‘The mechs installed two new engines before the next flight, and, for safety reasons, we ordered the two removed engines not to be installed together on the same aircraft again.’
- ‘We discussed our options with the crew, then the CAPC decided to taxi back to the line with the engine running and let our mechs have a look at the problem.’
- ‘The cause of the drop in control-boost pressure was never isolated, but mechs suspected it was related to the No.1 AFCS failure.’
- ‘With all three mechs now using brute strength to avoid a collision between engine and airframe, I called out as loud as I could for help.’
- ‘Before he went to work, the mechs removed the engine side panel.’
2The gear mechanism of a bicycle.
- ‘Then I discovered that the front mech was a bit past fixing, as the main spring had gone and it's not a user-serviceable part.’
- ‘The rear mech attaches onto the axle making for a super stiff and ‘out of the way’ setup with no hangers to snap off.’
- ‘It looked like he didn't properly fix the mech as on the final run it jammed and I couldn't pedal.’
- ‘The back wheel sounds like a baby's rattle and the mechs have been slowly rotting for a while now.’
Mid 20th century: abbreviation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.