One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A children's toy consisting of a set of metal and plastic components for making mechanical models.‘Why don't you look at the Meccano set I bought you?’
- ‘We built the car with Meccano so it was fairly substantial.’
- ‘I was an only child, and I had a room to myself and I had Meccano and I had this world in which I did things.’
- ‘Maybe we could start by putting Meccano and chemistry sets in every 10-year-old's Christmas stocking next month.’
- ‘I did have Meccano and Lego, but actually I got a lot of fun out of empty cardboard boxes.’
- ‘So he went into his garden shed and produced the greatest boy's toy of all time: Meccano.’
Early 20th century: an invented word suggested by mechanic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.