Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A machine for mincing meat.
- ‘They also include parts for Ms. Kalman's friends and family, who will make ‘little gentle noises’ through amplified kitchen utensils (vintage eggbeaters and meat grinders) and a set of dice shaken in a bowl.’
- 1.1A destructive action or process.‘hockey was put through a meat grinder in the Barcelona preliminaries’
- ‘Reinforcements arrive continuously and are quickly thrown into the meat grinder.’
- ‘The insurgency has become a meat grinder, but bugging out would mean total defeat.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, he'd been through the interview meat grinder before.’
- ‘The development process can only be described as a meat grinder.’
- ‘Our goal with the enemy NPCs was to recapture the sense you get when watching a bunch of troops charge into a meat grinder of hostile fire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.