One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A machine for mincing meat.
- ‘They also include parts for Ms. Kalman's friends and family, who will make ‘little gentle noises’ through amplified kitchen utensils (vintage eggbeaters and meat grinders) and a set of dice shaken in a bowl.’
- 1.1 A destructive action or process.‘hockey was put through a meat grinder in the Barcelona preliminaries’
- ‘Our goal with the enemy NPCs was to recapture the sense you get when watching a bunch of troops charge into a meat grinder of hostile fire.’
- ‘The development process can only be described as a meat grinder.’
- ‘Reinforcements arrive continuously and are quickly thrown into the meat grinder.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, he'd been through the interview meat grinder before.’
- ‘The insurgency has become a meat grinder, but bugging out would mean total defeat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.