One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jug or cup marked up in graded amounts, used in cooking.
- ‘So her company is selling items such as three-dimensional puzzles and plastic measuring cups that teach toddlers simple math through volumes.’
- ‘We had pots, pans, cooking utensils, measuring cups, and anything else you can think of (except food) that goes in a kitchen.’
- ‘I poured some of the milk into a measuring cup and popped it into the microwave for one minute.’
- ‘In previous surveys, interviewers were armed with measuring cups, spoons, and rulers when they visited households.’
- ‘Kenzie, you go get the butter, milk, and eggs to start off with, and Kyle, you go get the mixing bowls and measuring cups.’
- ‘He handed me a measuring cup and the pancake mix and told me to measure out so many cups.’
- ‘I grinned at her and turned back to the stove and listened as she got a pot, the rice and a measuring cup then came and stood next to me.’
- ‘Taking the measuring cup into my own hands I told her drink her medicine.’
- ‘On average, estimates improved by about one-third with the mounds compared to the measuring cups.’
- ‘I looked at the measuring cup I used for the water.’
- ‘Mom turned to the cabinets and began looking for the measuring cup.’
- ‘During the next part of the class period Stephanie did what she could, retrieving ingredients and measuring cups from the drawers and cupboards.’
- ‘The second meaning indicates gradations of quantity on thermometers or measuring cups.’
- ‘She got out the bowl, the flour, eggs, a mixer, some chocolate, milk, a measuring cup, and a pan.’
- ‘She set the plate in the sink, on top of several mixing bowls, measuring cups and cookie sheets.’
- ‘And the last time I checked, wasn't Pyrex for making measuring jugs and durable cookware?’
- ‘If you've ever used a liquid measuring cup, chances are you've had to bend down to look at the mark, to see if it's too high or too low, and then keep bending to make several adjustments.’
- ‘Sugar is almost strictly prohibited in that diet… Why do you have a measuring cup?’
- ‘At that the older woman began to walk around from cupboard to cupboard pulling out a large glass bowl, a spatula, butter, a butter knife, a frying pan, pancake mix, a measuring cup, and a box of frozen sausages.’
- ‘Gunpowder poured into a small measuring cup from a slit on the opposite end.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.