One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Uncooperative, unkind, or unfair.‘a mean-minded fellow who thrusts his way to the top’
narrow-minded, petty-minded, petty, mean, mean-spirited, uncharitable, ungenerous, grudging, close-minded, short-sighted, myopic, blinkered, inward-looking, narrow, conventional, unimaginative, parochial, provincial, insular, small-town, localistView synonyms
- ‘The tragedy is that this mean-minded approach was unnecessary, and is unnecessarily destructive.’
- ‘What a suspicious, mean-minded lot we are, never happier than when seeing the confirmation of our worst suspicions about foreigners.’
- ‘He's a pious hypocrite and a greedy, petty, stupid, mean-minded crook.’
- ‘We have seen a focus on the reduction of inflation, and, for the most part, a mean-minded approach to social spending.’
- ‘The pensions crisis is not a result of an ageing population, but of a mean-minded political and business class.’
- ‘All we can do this week is appeal to their better nature and urge them to call off their mean-minded vandalism.’
- ‘Many films nominally aimed at children today are relentless, overlong, surprisingly violent and gratuitously mean-minded.’
- ‘I hate it, and the people are as mean-minded as the town.’
- ‘It was a mean-minded decision to prevent those workers who regularly worked more than 37 hours from getting their full holiday pay.’
- ‘Within reason, that should be their right, and not denied them by the worst sort of mean-minded bureaucracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.