One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The wife of a mayor.
- ‘He continued to serve as a councillor, and he and his wife Gladys - whom he had married in 1953-enjoyed a term as deputy mayor and mayoress.’
- ‘He duly turned up on the day with his mayoress wife, Sue, and joined in the fun.’
- ‘Born in Braintree, he moved to Chelmsford in 1959, when he married his wife, and now mayoress, Pamela.’
- ‘The mayor of Swindon arrived in his full mayoral regalia with his wife and mayoress, Pamela.’
- ‘Tributes were today paid to a former mayoress who devoted her life to helping others.’
- ‘It is also very difficult for mayoresses who are sometimes not even politicians and completely unaware about public life.’
2A woman holding the office of mayor.
- ‘She had been a deputy mayoress and a pillar of the community.’
- ‘We intend to observe the traditions, customs and practices which are attached to the mayoral office and to do our best to meet the high standards established by previous mayors and mayoresses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.