Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or constituting a maximum; as great or as large as possible.‘the maximal speed’
utmost, uttermost, very great, greatest, greatest possible, maximum, maximal, highest, ultimate, supreme, paramount, great, acute, major, intense, enormous, severe, high, superlative, exceptional, extraordinaryView synonyms
- ‘Do we opt for choices that will give us maximal comfort or do we make choices that will give our lives the most meaning?’
- ‘We allowed additional pain outside the maximal pain site if pain intensity was low and distinguishable from the central pain.’
- ‘The maximal increase in girth of an extremity usually occurs during the first year.’
- ‘You may be in need of a maximal treadmill stress test, which will reveal any reduced flow in the arteries.’
- ‘Two weeks at maximal dose is needed before one decides that a particular drug is a therapeutic failure.’
- ‘The intensity changes generally reach their maximal values near charge neutrality.’
- ‘Then the cardiac failure worsened despite maximal treatment.’
- ‘These bombs are especially designed to cause the maximal injuries to everyone involved.’
- ‘The aorta is relatively fixed at these two points but is mobile on each side so the heart beat stress is maximal there.’
- ‘It is possible that two events limit the pig's maximal growth from birth to 60 days of age.’
- ‘The struggle for social peace is thus a struggle for the conditions of maximal living diversity.’
- ‘Despite heart problems most of her life, she always gave a maximal effort.’
- ‘Injection assures maximal drug delivery and penetration into the ulcer region.’
- ‘Noninvasive therapy included maximal medical therapy as indicated for each patient.’
- ‘In the first place, it may be wondered why we should need to include both maximal possible states of affairs and propositions in our ontology.’
- ‘These withdrawal symptoms begin within hours of the last cigarette and are at maximal intensity for the first week.’
- ‘In conclusion, maximal plantar flexion was reached in only a minority of the kicking actions.’
- ‘Preservation of maximal expiratory pressure is critical for the expulsive phase of labor.’
- ‘One such deviation occurred when a child could not reproducibly produce maximal peak flows.’
- ‘The athlete can sense a loss in muscular strength, coordination, and maximal working capacity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.