One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first fully automatic water-cooled machine gun, designed in 1884 and used especially in the First World War.
- ‘From this distance the Maxim gun looks like the first wheel.’
- ‘Despite the technical superiority of the Maxim gun, the U.S. Army resisted using it until 1904.’
- ‘As early as 1903, 11 machine gun detachments had been formed with each consisting of six MG 01 Maxim guns, with horse drawn gun and ammunition wagons.’
- ‘The Maxim gun, Gunbus fighter and Vimy bomber are among the famous military products of Crayford.’
- ‘On July 6th the great rock fortress was stormed under a barrage of artillery and Maxim gun fire.’
- ‘On the right he soon had an opportunity to put his two Maxim guns to work.’
- ‘Imagine the difficulty, if you will, of crouching in a crowded, dimly lit, smoky bunker while trying to strip, clean and reassemble your Maxim gun as the concussion of allied shells causes dirt to rain down on you from the roof.’
- ‘The cold froze the oil on the rifle-bolts and jammed the two Maxim guns.’
- ‘Actually, he had envisioned his weapon for use by soldiers on the move - not as an aircraft weapon - because the Maxim gun had proved too heavy for mobile infantry.’
- ‘We've tossed out the Maxim gun for daisycutters and cruise missiles.’
Named after Sir Hiram S. Maxim (1840–1916), American-born British inventor.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.