One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often as title A Muslim man revered for his religious learning or piety.
- ‘The maulana criticised the new Haj guideline and called it contrary to the interests of prospective Hajis.’
- ‘Instead of creating problems, education should solve them, the maulana added.’
- ‘She sent her husband a notice of divorce through her maulana, two and a half years ago.’
- ‘The maulana said that Islam stands above caste and creed and it teaches love of human beings.’
- ‘A staunch nationalist, the maulana never agreed to the diabolical two-nation theory.’
Mid 19th century: from Arabic mawlānā ‘our master’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.