One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adult student who attends college or university some years after leaving school.
- ‘It's a factor that has influenced my decision, as a mature student, to enter the teaching profession.’
- ‘The timing of the fair could not be better as applications from mature students who want to attend university are being accepted from December 15.’
- ‘She said parish leaders would like to see the student housing close to residences set aside for mature students and post-graduates.’
- ‘This provision requires that parental income be taken into account irrespective of the individual circumstances in any case where the student is not a mature student.’
- ‘I know Kirsty's path, because it is one I followed myself, arriving at Glasgow University as a mature student in 1993.’
- ‘I have just recently gone went back to university as a mature student to complete a degree in political science.’
- ‘By this stage she had graduated from Aberdeen University as a mature student and was working as a teacher, first in primary schools, then with secondary pupils with special needs.’
- ‘I attended university as a mature student and was shocked at how ignorant and uneducated our student population actually is.’
- ‘Returning from the US in 1997, he enrolled as a mature student in University College Cork, where he studied law.’
- ‘He attended Newcastle University as a mature student.’
- ‘He studied in York between 1971 and 1974 after being accepted by the university as a mature student with a single A-level pass at Grade E.’
- ‘In the longer term, the college could target mature students, who are likely to become a growing feature of this market.’
- ‘While the colleges welcome mature students and often find them to be eager learners, they advise them to be well prepared to adapt to changing from work to studying.’
- ‘Anyone aged 21 and over who is taking a university or college course is classed as a mature student.’
- ‘Even when I was at university full-time as a mature student with a mortgage and rates to pay I never considered a loan.’
- ‘This year's scholarship recipients include students currently in third level education and mature students entering college for the first time.’
- ‘I like meeting friends who've come back to college as mature students to finish their education, and there are plenty of those.’
- ‘One thing I like about working here is the fact that there are so many people of my generation who have returned to college as mature students.’
- ‘Her mother went back to university as a mature student and got herself a degree, despite bringing up two girls on her own.’
- ‘Now, though, the former mature student and Glasgow University graduate's cup runneth over.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.