Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Coarse material woven from natural fibres, used for mats.‘rush matting’
rug, mat, floor covering, runner, druggetView synonyms
- ‘Plainly, the mattress had been laid right on the floor, with matting of some sort and a heavy blanket under it.’
- ‘Besides shotcrete, rockbolts, stone and wire mesh, a composite product of mesh and matting on which grass can be grown is being used.’
- ‘It looks really good, and best of all, bark mulch on weed matting is low maintenance.’
- ‘A ribbed rubber matting is nice on the Shih Tzu grooming table and is easy to keep clean.’
- ‘The blood was real enough, for it pooled about the tiles and was absorbed into the thick matting.’
- ‘For example, cocoa matting is probably the least expensive material you can buy to cover floors in today's world.’
- ‘The matting had an outside dimension of 40 by 43 inches.’
- ‘He actually had a bed to sleep in instead of matting and a cardboard box.’
- ‘I will need some moisture mats - thick layers of hemp fibre matting which sit on top of the waste.’
- ‘Pots containing well-watered plants were placed on capillary matting, whereas pots of treatment plants were allowed to drain freely.’
- ‘In some villages bamboo matting and reeds are used to form walls.’
- ‘She let the two of them in and let them sit down on the matting.’
- ‘His store also specializes in fabric-embossed matting, hand-carved mats and French matting.’
- ‘The principle is the same, with a water reservoir and capillary matting, but it's much neater and tidier.’
- ‘Leather shoes lasted no time at all without hobnails, and conversely, floors, whether of stone or wood, lasted no time at all without matting of some sort.’
- ‘The venue has no seats, with the entire audience sprawled on soft wall-to-wall matting, adding to the effect.’
- ‘People who have been in contact with farm animals in the last two weeks were being asked to postpone their visit while others were warned to wear sensible footwear for walking over disinfected matting.’
- ‘New grass will be planted on top of a mixture of sand, fertilizer, and plastic matting to ensure that the fields will not disintegrate easily.’
- ‘In reality, rush matting was most frequently used on floors.’
- ‘The walls were a dark jade color here, the tile a light tan covered with crimson matting.’
2The process of becoming matted.
- ‘To avoid the clumping or matting of hair in long-haired cats, grooming with a brush or comb is recommended.’
- ‘Keep in mind that hair caught in a sudden rainstorm could also be in danger of serious matting if the strands are not immediately combed out.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.