One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounSouth African, British
- ‘He said a shocking 610 high schools in the province scored below 50 percent in matric results last year.’
- ‘Those pupils who did reach matric lacked laboratories for science and well-trained mathematics teachers.’
- ‘I did matric [matriculation] music but I completely refused to play after that.’
- ‘These assist mainly matric students and educators in the fields of Maths and Science.’
- ‘I think it will be best if I go to Cape Town to do my matric.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.