One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handsome actor admired for his good looks.
actor, actress, film actor, film actress, leading man, leading woman, leading lady, lead, principal, performer, starletView synonyms
- ‘Instead of fans going after the matinee idol, the actor himself went around to meet a lucky few.’
- ‘With sculpted features and a mop of dark hair, he became the star of his generation and something of a matinee idol.’
- ‘You have a natural knack for fashion and occupy a suit like a matinee idol.’
- ‘He was more a matinee idol rather than an actor, and I have to admit his persona outstripped anyone on the screen in his day with the exception of Marlon Brando.’
- ‘The guest list includes a countess, a World War I hero, a British matinee idol and an American film producer who makes Charlie Chaplin movies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.