Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A handsome actor admired for his good looks.
actor, actress, film actor, film actress, leading man, leading woman, leading lady, lead, principal, performer, starletView synonyms
- ‘You have a natural knack for fashion and occupy a suit like a matinee idol.’
- ‘Instead of fans going after the matinee idol, the actor himself went around to meet a lucky few.’
- ‘He was more a matinee idol rather than an actor, and I have to admit his persona outstripped anyone on the screen in his day with the exception of Marlon Brando.’
- ‘The guest list includes a countess, a World War I hero, a British matinee idol and an American film producer who makes Charlie Chaplin movies.’
- ‘With sculpted features and a mop of dark hair, he became the star of his generation and something of a matinee idol.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.