One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Logic that is mathematical in its method, manipulating symbols according to definite and explicit rules of derivation; symbolic logic.
- ‘Modern arguments are extremely technical, involving microbiology and mathematical logic.’
- ‘She published papers on mathematical logic, recursive function theory, and theoretical computer science.’
- ‘He worked on mathematical logic, in particular ordinal numbers, recursive arithmetic, analysis, and the philosophy of mathematics.’
- ‘During this period at Cambridge, Wittgenstein continued to work on the foundations of mathematics and also on mathematical logic.’
- ‘He then extended his father's work on associative algebras and worked on mathematical logic and set theory.’
- ‘His work is of major importance in mathematical logic, recursion theory and in theoretical computer science.’
- ‘There he began to get more involved in the study of mathematical logic.’
- ‘Mathematics and mathematical logic provide at least one important and, possibly simple, case.’
- ‘At this stage he was working on mathematical logic but things were not going well.’
- ‘He wanted to learn about groups, rings and fields, the foundations of mathematics and mathematical logic.’
- ‘His revolutionary new logic was the origin of modern mathematical logic - a field of import not only to abstract mathematics, but also to computer science and philosophy.’
- ‘He continued studying mathematical logic and made important contributions to it.’
- ‘In formal mathematical logic, one makes frequent use of the existential and universal quantifiers.’
- ‘Not only does this paper provide a mathematically rigorous articulation of several ideas that had been developing in earlier mathematical logic, it also presents foundations on which later logic could be built.’
- ‘Inexorable mathematical logic forces the next step.’
- ‘The actual implementation and mathematical logic behind backing up predicates is beyond the scope of this paper.’
- ‘Her doctoral thesis was on mathematical logic.’
- ‘They are the basis of mathematical logic, which in turn gives rise to Boolean algebra.’
- ‘Her work in mathematical logic was important in the development of the subject in Soviet Union.’
- ‘He began to study mathematical logic and the theory of algorithms just before 1940.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.