One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Logic that is mathematical in its method, manipulating symbols according to definite and explicit rules of derivation; symbolic logic.
- ‘He worked on mathematical logic, in particular ordinal numbers, recursive arithmetic, analysis, and the philosophy of mathematics.’
- ‘Not only does this paper provide a mathematically rigorous articulation of several ideas that had been developing in earlier mathematical logic, it also presents foundations on which later logic could be built.’
- ‘During this period at Cambridge, Wittgenstein continued to work on the foundations of mathematics and also on mathematical logic.’
- ‘Her work in mathematical logic was important in the development of the subject in Soviet Union.’
- ‘They are the basis of mathematical logic, which in turn gives rise to Boolean algebra.’
- ‘She published papers on mathematical logic, recursive function theory, and theoretical computer science.’
- ‘His revolutionary new logic was the origin of modern mathematical logic - a field of import not only to abstract mathematics, but also to computer science and philosophy.’
- ‘Her doctoral thesis was on mathematical logic.’
- ‘Inexorable mathematical logic forces the next step.’
- ‘He began to study mathematical logic and the theory of algorithms just before 1940.’
- ‘Modern arguments are extremely technical, involving microbiology and mathematical logic.’
- ‘He wanted to learn about groups, rings and fields, the foundations of mathematics and mathematical logic.’
- ‘Mathematics and mathematical logic provide at least one important and, possibly simple, case.’
- ‘His work is of major importance in mathematical logic, recursion theory and in theoretical computer science.’
- ‘He continued studying mathematical logic and made important contributions to it.’
- ‘There he began to get more involved in the study of mathematical logic.’
- ‘At this stage he was working on mathematical logic but things were not going well.’
- ‘The actual implementation and mathematical logic behind backing up predicates is beyond the scope of this paper.’
- ‘In formal mathematical logic, one makes frequent use of the existential and universal quantifiers.’
- ‘He then extended his father's work on associative algebras and worked on mathematical logic and set theory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.