Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessively concerned with material possessions; money-oriented.‘we're living in a highly materialistic society’
worldly, consumerist, money-oriented, money-grubbingcapitalistic, bourgeoisacquisitive, greedy, grasping, avaricious, rapaciousyuppieView synonyms
- ‘In this materialistic era, even teachers have changed their lifestyle.’
- ‘I've never been that materialistic, but I need something, some kind of tool to improve my self-esteem.’
- ‘I am not going to paint a broad stroke and say our society is materialistic, is driven by consumer needs or is a slave to marketing.’
- ‘These seem like odd responses since she doesn't come across as materialistic, but perhaps that's why.’
- ‘Sensual and materialistic, they want all the power, comfort and control they can get out of life.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.