One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A sporting contest between two players or teams.
correspond, be in agreement, tally, agree, match up, coincide, accord, conform, square, harmonize, be consonant, be compatibleView synonyms
- ‘The rest will feature game after game of hotly contested matchups with nightly playoff implications during the final two-dozen games or so.’
- ‘Always a heated rivalry, this Friday tilt could shape up to be a playoff matchup preview.’
- ‘If you are one of the many who use a two-back system, you can find success if you closely monitor matchups and know each player's strengths and weaknesses.’
- ‘The matchups create great individual contests that help determine the outcome of the team game.’
- ‘Nothing has been decided at this point because we are quite busy trying to predict the new head coaches and analyzing the playoff matchups.’
- ‘Basketball is a team game, but the NBA is about individual matchups - whichever team wins the most matchups wins the game.’
- ‘The playoffs are no time to be clever by benching your most talented players because they have bad matchups and start experimenting with mediocre players in good matchups.’
- ‘The teams with the most favorable player matchups will be the teams holding trumps in the final three weeks.’
- ‘He doesn't shy away from matchups against star players and is the team's nastiest lineman.’
- ‘If we've gotten line matchups or individual player matchups from the coaches, then I focus on the task at hand.’
- ‘Three playoff matchups from last fall will be revived this weekend.’
- ‘The game featured key matchups as both teams put out their best players with two crucial points on the line.’
- ‘We'll have in-depth scouting reports on each team minutes after the bracket is announced, and we cover the tournament with matchups for all 64 games.’
- ‘In most cases, the outside man got a one-on-one matchup and the inside player drew the double team.’
- ‘A couple of scouts and coaches offered their expertise in breaking down the divisional playoff matchups of the upcoming weekend.’
- ‘Playing the matchups is crucial in fantasy football.’
- ‘However, in each of the postseason matchups, his team rallied from behind to win, the exact opposite of their playoff predecessors.’
- ‘After you've spent a few minutes savoring another strong week for your squad, it's important to look at your players' matchups for the next week.’
- ‘The teams have battled to four straight Game 7, winner-take-all playoff matchups, with New York winning the last three.’
- ‘This is basically an even matchup, a toe-to-toe slugfest of a heavyweight championship battle in the making.’
- 1.1Basketball A strategic pairing of one player with another from the opposing team for the purpose of marking.
- ‘The man to man matchup is basketball in its purest form.’
2A selected combination of people or things.‘the matchups of flavours are ideal’combine, match up, link, bring together, put together, unite, marry, pair up, yoke, team, couple, pair, allyView synonyms
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.