One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of gun with a lock in which a piece of wick or cord is placed for igniting the powder.as modifier ‘matchlock guns’
- ‘The infantry of early modern Europe combined the fire of gunpowder weapons - first the arquebus and then the matchlock musket - and the shock of cold steel.’
- ‘His followers had matchlocks, spears, swords, bows and arrows.’
- ‘A simple lesson, but one a man might forget in a pinch: Their rifles are matchlocks.’
- ‘The discovery of gun powder by the Chinese lead to the development of the matchlock musket.’
- ‘The matchlock is one of the very earliest forms of firearms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.