One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bring about the marriage of someone to.‘try if you can to match her with a duke’
- ‘She wants to match Harriet with Mr. Elton, and when Harriet compliments him, Emma's plan is set in motion.’
- ‘She arrives with strong opinions about politics and her social obligations that clash with her father's conservatism, and she has no patience with the upper-class twit her parents try to match her with.’
- ‘You should consider yourself lucky that you have been matched with a young noble at all.’
- ‘After the death of her father-in-law and unsuccessful attempts at matching Mr. Tweedie with her daughters, Mrs. Lapham marries him herself, mainly to keep the silver shop in the family.’
- ‘John tells Elinor that they are thinking of matching Miss Morton with Robert, now that Edward is marrying Lucy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.