One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mother (often used as a respectful form of address for a woman).
- ‘Mama Mata feared they might not live much longer.’
- ‘I prayed to Surya, the Sun God, and to Durga Mata, the Holy Mother.’
- ‘The inspiration for it was his mother, who believes all Goddesses are different shapes of the same Mata.’
- ‘He introduced the dignitaries to the mammoth crowd one by one, each of them rising from their seats to acknowledge the audience and to bow to the Mata.’
- ‘Mama Mata's presents to her cousin and nephew were given to demonstrate her attachment to them and to incur obligation.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit mātā ‘mother’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.