Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of the mastoid process.
- ‘Complications from ear infections include mastoiditis (infections in the skull behind the ear) and meningitis.’
- ‘Differentiating otitis externa from acute mastoiditis may be difficult because of severe ear pain and the inability to visualize the tympanic membrane.’
- ‘It also did not mention that the advent of antibiotics has dramatically reduced the incidence of acute mastoiditis in acute otitis media.’
- ‘Because serious adverse effects such as mastoiditis and meningitis were rare in these pooled analyses, it is not possible to determine whether protocols of delayed treatment or no treatment might be harmful.’
- ‘However, one child who received antibiotics after 48 hours developed mastoiditis in the opposite ear six weeks after treatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.