A high rank of non-commissioned officer in the US armed forces.
- ‘Initially, this key faculty element was made up of a mixture of master sergeants, sergeants major, captains and majors.’
- ‘By July, I was getting a fair share of the test hops and getting to know the grizzled old master sergeant who ran the engineering section.’
- ‘A senior first lieutenant commanded the FASCO and a master sergeant served as the noncommissioned office in charge.’
- ‘For the recent sergeant first class promotion list, it is 19 months; and for the current master sergeant and sergeant major list, it is 12 months.’
- ‘He is a retired master sergeant with over 20 years of service.’