Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A comprehensive plan of action.‘America's master plan for peace’
scheme, plan of action, idea, master plan, game plan, proposal, proposition, ploy, suggestion, project, programme, system, method, procedure, strategy, stratagem, formula, recipe, scenario, arrangement, schedule, agendaView synonyms
- ‘It will receive a share of £2.8 million dedicated to drawing up long-term master plans for market towns and consultation exercises.’
- ‘A draft master plan has been drawn up outlining what improvements are sought, and inviting the public to have their say.’
- ‘Senior city councillors have approved a traffic master plan aimed at saving York from future gridlock.’
- ‘About half the awards went to unbuilt projects: urban master plans and proposals for future buildings.’
- ‘In the coming months, they plan to form a design team and develop a master plan for the project.’
- ‘Under the original master plan, there would have been less open space, no footpaths and the loss of six trees.’
- ‘Many building owners and developers are demanding that design criteria for their projects include security master plans.’
- ‘The master plan is the first stage in a scheme to redevelop the Aire Valley.’
- ‘Take ‘green areas’ as an obvious example in comparing the old and new master plans.’
- ‘Fourthly, governments at all three levels, as well as financial institutions, should facilitate farm property, urban master plans and regional plans.’
- ‘He had even taken personal interest in the drawing up of a master plan for development of tourism in the district.’
- ‘Their master plan is clearly formulated and being implemented every day.’
- ‘I would love to say I had a master plan for the next week or so, but I don't.’
- ‘We will be contributing to the development of a master plan and its links to existing regeneration projects.’
- ‘He rightly points out the difference between a master plan and an actual site plan.’
- ‘A public outcry for a master plan to maintain the pond as a heritage site has met with little response.’
- ‘Like many master plans, emergency response plans must have the commitment of the CEO or president to be most effective.’
- ‘Before I reveal my master plan, I want to give you some insight into my journalism experience.’
- ‘Maybe campaign strategies and master plans are not nearly as important as the insiders believe they are.’
- ‘Work carried out by the experts will lead to a master plan for sites in the town centre, and the consultants' report is due this autumn.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.