Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rank of non-commissioned officer in the US Marines, above master sergeant and below sergeant major.
- ‘The First Sergeant and Sergeant Major are administrative and command track, while the Master Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant are on the technical experts command track.’
- ‘The Marine Band, dubbed ‘The President's Own’ by President Jefferson, has 143 enlisted members, of which 49 are staff sergeants, 44 are gunnery sergeants, 27 master sergeants and 23 master gunnery sergeants, she said.’
- ‘On September 29,1925,he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps at 17 years of age and retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant on February 6,1946.’
- ‘Her promotion to master gunnery sergeant made her the first woman of her rank in this military occupational specialty.’
- ‘There are a multitude of master gunnery sergeants throughout the Corps who have exceptional leadership skills and ideas along with suggestions that could be beneficial to the Corps.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.