One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who provides massage professionally.
- ‘Backroom staff including physiotherapists and masseuses from the Football Club are looking to use ancient medicinal arts to guarantee their future success.’
- ‘Wrapped in our sheets, we were taken in, five at a time, to have our buttocks pummelled by five very large and efficient masseuses armed with baby oil, who slapped, pinched and kneaded our flabbiest bits without the slightest hesitation.’
- ‘We book a top-notch team of psychotherapists, hypnotists, masseurs and masseuses, motivators and life coaches.’
- ‘The 32-year-old hip-hop star has also requested a personal masseuse to be on hand at all times and a selection of low-carb health products’
- ‘While practising in the bedroom is a great starting point for aspiring masseuses and masseurs, making it as a professional is a little more rigorous.’
- ‘We followed the female masseuse back into the spa and discovered that there was no way upstairs.’
- ‘The masseuse bathes my feet then unlocks a few facial pressure points while I succumb to the ambient flute music and scents of clove and ylang-ylang oil.’
- ‘Having had a two-hour massage the day before, I greatly appreciated the skills of my masseuse.’
- ‘The club has invited professional masseuses to knead away the body tensions.’
- ‘Made in India, this rolling massage tool will unburden the hands of amateur masseurs and masseuses, and can double as a gift for yourself.’
- ‘Even more convenient, the makers promise that a 20-minute session gives the same effects as a one-hour session from a human masseuse.’
- ‘She also makes natural hair-care products and has a masseuse and makeup artist on staff.’
- ‘I had been told by my work colleagues that the unassuming green door near my flat was that of a blind masseuse.’
- ‘The spa is, for the most part, outdoors, so as the masseuse pounded me with hot stones, I listened to the sounds of the rainforest and the hotsprings rushing.’
- ‘The masseuse applied fragrant medicated oils on the head and body in plentiful measure as one lay on a high wooden plank on the secluded verandah of an open walled courtyard.’
- ‘I want to be in Hawaii, relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse and the love of my life.’
- ‘The masseuse said she'd never known anyone with such knotted shoulders.’
- ‘I have taken the precaution of booking a masseuse; after the powerful jets have done their work she starts hers.’
- ‘She would call masseuses to treat guests after they had worked out.’
- ‘All the therapists, from nail technicians to masseuses have degree qualifications.’
French, from masser ‘to massage’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.