One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in representations of black speech) master.‘Massa, I have some news for you’
- ‘They're treated like pets, to be stared at, and then disposed of like a slave after massa needs to settle a gambling debt.’
- ‘His wife kicked the slave girl out the house, and her massa chose his new wife over her and their child.’
- ‘Your mama had to keep you in line so massa wouldn't whip you.’
- ‘Copying everything massa does will not advance us.’
- ‘Would you have been the really obedient one, or the rebellious one, the one who smiles in massa's face but spits in his food, the one in the plantation house secretly hearing all the plans and telling your family in the fields what was going on?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.