Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A distribution of ions shown by the use of a mass spectrograph or mass spectrometer.
- ‘This analysis method helps find the composition of a physical sample by generating a mass spectrum that represents the masses of the sample's components.’
- ‘The resulting fragment ions were subjected to mass analysis to produce a tandem mass spectrum.’
- ‘The structures of these derivatives were characterized with proton nuclear magnetic resonance, infrared and mass spectra.’
- ‘A mass spectrum of gramicidin in methanol shows three sets of peaks, corresponding to the different gramicidin species that are present in the sample.’
- ‘Their authenticity was confirmed by UV, electrospray mass spectra and high-field proton NMR spectroscopy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.