Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus for measuring the masses of isotopes, molecules, and molecular fragments by ionizing them and determining their trajectories in electric and magnetic fields.
- ‘The emitted isotopes are focussed through a mass spectrometer and measured.’
- ‘An onboard mass spectrometer will then measure the levels of the different isotopes given off at each stage of the baking process.’
- ‘The gas chromatograph separates the substances present, and then each substance is broken into molecular fragments by the mass spectrometer.’
- ‘It may even carry an instrument like a mass spectrometer to measure material ejected from impact.’
- ‘Time-of-flight mass spectrometers measure the time it takes for each ion to reach the detector because heavier ions travel more slowly than lighter ions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.