One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The total number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus.
- ‘Mathematical calculations employing the proportions and mass numbers have assigned titanium a mean atomic weight of 47.88.’
- ‘The mass number gives you the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of that element.’
- ‘The sum of the protons and neutrons is called the mass number.’
- ‘Various numbers are used to define nuclei: the atomic number, Z, is the number of protons, while the mass number is the sum of the atomic number and the number of neutrons, N.’
- ‘Different isotopes of the same element have different mass numbers because their nuclei contain different numbers of neutrons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.