One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solitary bee which lays its eggs in cavities, constructing cells of sand and other particles glued together with saliva.
Osmia and other genera, family Apidae
- ‘We investigated the effects of distance and flower density of two flower species on pollen collection by providing nest locations for the mason bee Osmia lignaria in natural settings.’
- ‘It's easy to make a mason bee house by drilling holes into a block of untreated wood.’
- ‘Red mason bees are particularly good for pollinating fruit trees.’
- ‘Here, beekeepers in a Herefordshire, England, orchard use smoke to subdue a hive, mostly likely a species of mason bee.’
- ‘Supplement them by hanging up bat houses, birdhouses, and orchard mason bee homes (blocks of wood drilled with holes).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.