Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Adhesive tape used in painting to cover areas on which paint is not wanted.
matte, photomask, shadow mask, masking, masking tapeView synonyms
- ‘The tiled street signs were covered by black masking tape and replaced by bright yellow signs on poles and a temporary café has been built on a piece of wasteland.’
- ‘With the countertop face-up, apply masking tape over the cut area and pencil a cut line on the tape.’
- ‘Once the patch is in place, tape it down on all four sides with masking tape.’
- ‘Put the place setting inside a paper cup; place a second cup on top, and seal them together with masking tape.’
- ‘Cut the excess off with a handsaw; but first, mark the cut line with some masking tape to protect against chipping.’
- ‘Be sure to cover the edge of the floor with a paint guide or masking tape.’
- ‘To keep from splintering the back, cover the cut line with masking tape before you cut.’
- ‘Use regular masking tape to attach the plastic sheeting on top of the painting tape.’
- ‘Paint the wall a bright green, then rip masking tape to create an uneven, ragged edge.’
- ‘Have extra masking tape in several widths available along with scissors, a pencil and several rags to clean up spills.’
- ‘Cover wood edge with masking tape to protect it, then mix the grout according to package instructions.’
- ‘The most common masking tape is the standard tan tape, which will work for most projects.’
- ‘Then, tape it to the floor with masking tape pressed over the cutouts.’
- ‘Cut small triangular slits in the paper and tape over these to the drywall with masking tape.’
- ‘Next, it is crucial to use some newspaper and masking tape to cover up areas where you don't want paint to get.’
- ‘To protect the floor, put masking tape around the board to be replaced.’
- ‘After applying masking tape, press the edge down with a block of wood to make sure there is a good bond.’
- ‘Use masking tape where two paint colors come together for a much neater job.’
- ‘And make sure to put masking tape around places where you want to avoid getting paint.’
- ‘To protect the surrounding floor, put masking tape around the old/damaged tile.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.