One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck, especially one linked to a particular organization or event.‘the team's dolphin mascot’
- ‘Their three mascots are unable to make the game due to family commitments, while their players are unable to attend because they are on holiday until Monday.’
- ‘Lisa's room was filled with a collection of advertising mascots disguised as playthings.’
- ‘Another difference between the two divisions is the originality of pre-match entertainment offered by the clubs' furry mascots.’
- ‘Elephants have always been Kerala's most favourite mascots, all the more so appealing when they are dressed up for temple or tourism fêtes.’
- ‘He will be the team mascot and will lead the players out onto the pitch.’
- ‘Our mascot has been a popular figure at matches and events outside of football.’
- ‘The mascots will be teamed up with players according to their height.’
- ‘In many games, he was known to have mock battles with his trusty sword and threaten the opposing team's mascots.’
- ‘The event, in which mascots race each other over a series of fences, has been going for three years.’
- ‘Perth Zoo is another fine place to see native wildlife, such as the platypus and echidna that were the inspiration for the Olympic mascots.’
- ‘Coloured in the five hues of the Olympic rings, the mascots also represent the sea, forests, fire, earth and air.’
- ‘The potential strike by football mascots is gathering momentum, just seven days after the move was revealed by the Evening Press.’
- ‘All that death and sadness is in the past, and we have sporting events right now in need of a comical mascot.’
- ‘He was actually a mascot for the team at the Reebok Stadium earlier in the year.’
- ‘He is a talented and hardworking player - and seen as a lucky mascot for the team.’
- ‘Every Saturday during football season, hundreds of men climb into foam and fur costumes to spend 90 minutes cavorting as club mascots.’
- ‘Virtually every Native American organization has condemned the use of demeaning images or mascots.’
- ‘With him during his epic journey was his mascot, Algy, a large white rabbit.’
- ‘The work opens with the team leader feeding the team mascot, a fish called Plugger.’
- ‘Generally, mascots are chosen because they represent honor, valor and bravery.’
Late 19th century: from French mascotte, from modern Provençal mascotto, feminine diminutive of masco ‘witch’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.