Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Various sports, which originated chiefly in Japan, Korea, and China as forms of self-defence or attack, such as judo, karate, and kendo.in singular ‘tae kwon do is a martial art’
- ‘He also runs regularly and has taken up two different martial arts - karate and wing chun, a form of tai chi.’
- ‘Although Judo is a martial art it is not based on strength so much as an understanding of one's limits.’
- ‘Judo is a martial art combining the use of quick movement and leverage to throw an opponent.’
- ‘Still others would say it is a martial art, a self-defense system, or a form of combat.’
- ‘Like most activities, the way to enjoy Judo or any other martial art is to learn to relax.’
- ‘Samantha has trained in karate and helps to teach other youngsters the martial art.’
- ‘Judo is the only martial art sport to be represented in the Olympics.’
- ‘We are working at the moment with a Japanese master who is showing us aspects of Budo and martial arts.’
- ‘Judo is a martial art and an Olympic sport, which originated in Japan.’
- ‘Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art that incorporates hand drums and looks more like a dance.’
- ‘I was narrow-minded in the beginning and used to regard judo as the only martial art.’
- ‘After all, aikido is a martial art for self-defense, so we become very sensitive to attack.’
- ‘Kendo is a highly dynamic, highly aerobic sport or martial art that is based on the ancient art of Japanese fencing.’
- ‘His study of judo is to approach it as a martial art, that can be practiced as a sport.’
- ‘I forget that Aikido is a martial art that includes dealing with weapons and also using them.’
- ‘He spent nearly a year studying kendo, karate and other Japanese martial arts.’
- ‘We may miss the chance to master a martial art because our time is limited and mastery comes from practice.’
- ‘Judo was designed as a martial art to be used as a personal self-defense or a medium for competition.’
- ‘Choosing a school and a martial art is not an easy endeavor, and it is important to make the right choice.’
- ‘Taekwondo is a modern martial art form characterised by its fast, high and spinning kicks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.