One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of or resembling a marsh; waterlogged.‘the marshy ground towards the sea’
boggy, swampy, muddy, squelchy, soggy, waterlogged, oozy, squashy, miry, fennyView synonyms
- ‘They were marching steadily across the marshy northlands, their pace slowed by the necessity of watching their feet for sinkholes and mud puddles.’
- ‘It was a large, indoor school that sat upon a sandy island surrounded by marshy swampland.’
- ‘They nest in the low Arctic, on tundra ponds with marshy shores and bogs.’
- ‘In the summer, they breed on marshy, lowland tundra at the northern limits of the boreal forest.’
- ‘Hilly, wooded, and marshy regions, marginal from a settler point of view, were capable of functioning as core areas of native lordship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.