One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, gregarious European frog with warty skin and a loud laughing call.
Rana ridibunda, family Ranidae
- ‘The three introduced species of water frog may be difficult to positively identify without capture, the marsh frog has a proportionally longer heal to the hind leg, which when extended along the body reaches the tip of the snout.’
- ‘A fourth non-native species also breeds at the centre - the marsh frog (rana ridibunda).’
- ‘On summer nights the lusty chorus of marsh frogs is loud enough to waft a quarter mile across the river.’
- ‘The spotted marsh frog breeds between spring and early summer.’
- ‘During the breeding season (and sometimes beyond) the male marsh frog calls very loudly with a sound reminiscent of a loud chuckle often very raucous and can be heard all day and night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.