One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An establishment which arranges introductions between people who want to get married.
- ‘In tune with the times, he also launched an online marriage bureau with a list of 10,000 brides and grooms.’
- ‘In the middle decades of the twentieth century, the local tennis club (often linked to a church) was the next best thing to a marriage bureau!’
- ‘She was running a marriage bureau when she met the father of her son, David.’
- ‘For many bachelors, the social scene was a theatre of humiliation and the marriage bureau was a welcome outlet.’
- ‘The mobile service is designed to bring the marriage bureau to the doorstep of the customer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.