One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a culture where arranged marriages are customary) a person who arranges marriages for a fee.
- ‘There was a time when the search for a bride or bridegroom necessarily involved the services of the local marriage broker with a photo album tucked under his arm.’
- ‘Marriages were arranged by family members or professional marriage brokers.’
- ‘Disappointed by this development, the marriage broker attending their meeting tells Norman he must retract the ‘61 per cent probability of success’ he had calculated for the couple.’
- ‘That film's dizzy dancer has metamorphosised into a beauteous marriage broker.’
- ‘Though there are marriage brokers their charges are exorbitant and sometimes they may fail in their attempts,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.