One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in medieval Spain) a Jew or Moor who had converted to Christianity, especially one who professed conversion in order to avoid persecution.
- ‘Miguel is of Marrano background: Jews forcibly converted to Catholicism in Portugal and Spain who nonetheless kept Jewish custom and belief alive in secret observance.’
- ‘As a child, I heard references to the Marranos, the hidden Jews of Spain.’
- ‘The Marranos (Iberian Jews officially converted to Christianity) secretly celebrating Passover in their attic behave as holdouts from another age.’
- ‘She started researching her family history and concluded that her ancestors were Marranos, or Sephardic Jews, who had fled the Inquisition in Spain and in Mexico more than four centuries ago.’
- ‘On Yom Kippur the Marranos would ‘gather in their caves and pour out their pleas to God to forgive them their false vows.’’
Spanish, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.