One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of yarn or fabric) mottled or streaked.‘a cabled marled wool sweater’
blotchy, blotched, spotted, spottyView synonyms
- ‘A unique waffle-weave and gray marled wool creates a rich texture.’
- ‘The stocking has an English foot and a heel and toe of grey marled wool.’
- ‘In solids, stripes and marled wool, these sweaters are fashionable and versatile.’
- ‘The use of knobby, marled wool yarn gives each tulip-shaped hat loads of lumpy, one-of-a-kind character.’
- ‘Diamond stitching gives an argyle look to a quarter-zip mock-neck sweater made of soft, marled wool.’
Early 16th century: perhaps a shortening of marbled.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.