One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(until the introduction of the euro in 2002) the basic monetary unit of Finland, equal to 100 penniä.
- ‘The markka, or Finnmark, is the basic monetary unit.’
- ‘Finnish bankers forecast that the outgoing markka will be overtaken by euro as the most used currency by the beginning of next week.’
- ‘Finland granted its own currency, the markka, within the Russian Empire.’
- ‘More than 10 percent of Finland's exports are shipped by air and the stoppage would mean additional losses to Finnish industry of around 70 million markka per day.’
- ‘If you were a counterfeiter in Finland before the euro, and you wanted to counterfeit the markka, after about half an hour you would have produced enough to saturate the market.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.