One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(until the introduction of the euro in 2002) the basic monetary unit of Finland, equal to 100 penniä.
- ‘Finnish bankers forecast that the outgoing markka will be overtaken by euro as the most used currency by the beginning of next week.’
- ‘The markka, or Finnmark, is the basic monetary unit.’
- ‘If you were a counterfeiter in Finland before the euro, and you wanted to counterfeit the markka, after about half an hour you would have produced enough to saturate the market.’
- ‘More than 10 percent of Finland's exports are shipped by air and the stoppage would mean additional losses to Finnish industry of around 70 million markka per day.’
- ‘Finland granted its own currency, the markka, within the Russian Empire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.