Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(until the introduction of the euro in 2002) the basic monetary unit of Finland, equal to 100 penniä.
- ‘The markka, or Finnmark, is the basic monetary unit.’
- ‘Finnish bankers forecast that the outgoing markka will be overtaken by euro as the most used currency by the beginning of next week.’
- ‘Finland granted its own currency, the markka, within the Russian Empire.’
- ‘More than 10 percent of Finland's exports are shipped by air and the stoppage would mean additional losses to Finnish industry of around 70 million markka per day.’
- ‘If you were a counterfeiter in Finland before the euro, and you wanted to counterfeit the markka, after about half an hour you would have produced enough to saturate the market.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.