One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dealer in securities or other assets who undertakes to buy or sell at specified prices at all times.
- ‘It played the role of market-maker, taking speculative financial positions on the utilities markets and leveraging its equity on a massive scale.’
- ‘There is no market-maker in the middle to be compensated or to slow down the order, resulting in better pricing and the faster trade executions for the client.’
- ‘An investigation showed that market-makers were ignoring customer limit orders that offered better prices than dealers wanted to post.’
- ‘He has little or no competition for that because he is an aggressive market-maker and market taker.’
- ‘That's exactly what Nasdaq market-makers are afraid of.’
- ‘This would allow market-makers to adjust prices for other securities effectively as demand and supply conditions change.’
- ‘The seller is both market-maker and a monopolist.’
- ‘Goldstein, though, responded: ‘There is an allegation here that market-makers are overpricing second hand endowments.’’
- ‘They maintain that larger bid-ask spreads represent compensation to the market-maker for the superior information possessed by informed investors who participate only in underpriced issues.’
- ‘Political calls for patriotic buying - encapsulated by one enthusiastic Senator who proclaimed that the ‘first front of this war is at home’ - had been heard not by consumers but by the traders and market-makers.’
- ‘Investors who lost money in Room Service as a result of short selling by Evolution market-makers will this week call on the Treasury select committee to investigate the London Stock Exchange's handling of the affair.’
- ‘This activity is producing a feast for the shoal of firms that depend on it - nominated advisers or ‘nomads’, plus specialist lawyers, brokers and market-makers.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the jitters currently gripping economists and market-makers alike are symptomatic of a deeper problem.’
- ‘In consequence, market-makers would probably push long-term interest rates upwards because they feared a rise in the inflation rate and, hence, a reduction in the real value of fixed-interest government securities.’
- ‘Thus the market-maker in securities can finance its inventory, and the fund manager can also raise short-term moneys, without disturbing its underlying, portfolio.’
- ‘There are several market-makers in these policies and investors interested in buying them often find it worthwhile to attend their monthly auctions.’
- ‘Susquehanna International Securities and CSFB are also acting as market-makers in certain stocks.’
- ‘Over the past 12 months, however, there has been much more interest from market-makers so that many more policies are being sold at an appreciably higher price than the surrender value.’
- ‘But as a highly-leveraged market-maker in all kinds of commodities, Enron could only survive on the goodwill and trust of its financiers, customers and shareholders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.