One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
To an extent which is clearly noticeable; significantly.‘new diagnoses have increased markedly since 1998’as submodifier ‘this advice is markedly different to that last year’
noticeably, decidedly, strikingly, distinctly, remarkably, clearly, plainlyView synonyms
- ‘Have you noticed how markedly hospitals have improved in the last few years?’
- ‘The accent in New Zealand has changed rather markedly from the early colonial days until now.’
- ‘The holiday may not have gone entirely to plan, but the PM's body language has changed markedly.’
- ‘This will force the national team to opt for a markedly aggressive, attacking style of play.’
- ‘This can reduce our interest bills markedly, and have a substantial impact over the years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.