Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pine tree with long thick needles and clustered cones, native to the coasts of the Mediterranean and Iberia.Also called cluster pine
- ‘Lemoine et al. found a decrease in concentrations of N, P and K in stemwood, from the top of the stem to a height of 2 m, for maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.).’
- ‘The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of aerial architecture on the dynamic characteristics of young maritime pines (Pinus pinaster Ait.) using a mechanistic approach.’
- ‘Drought differentially affects expression of a PR - 10 protein, in needles of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) seedlings.’
- ‘This antioxidant flavonoid is an extract from the bark of the French maritime pine tree.’
- ‘The same 10 homologous linkage groups were identified between loblolly pine and maritime pine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.