One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of the Society of Mary, a Roman Catholic missionary and teaching order.
- ‘A fashion show in aid of the Marist Convent will be held in the Yeats County Inn, Curry, on Thursday, October 27, at 8pm.’
- ‘The Mission winery in Hawkes Bay, founded by Catholic priests in 1851, is still in production and run as an adjunct to a Marist seminary.’
- ‘Many tributes have been paid to the late Brother Brian who was laid to rest in Athlone on Saturday last where he had spent most of his life as a teacher and latterly as Principal of the local Marist primary school.’
- ‘He joined the Marist Order in the 11 th September, 1864 and later became Headmaster of the Sacred Heart School in the East End of Glasgow.’
- ‘Look out for other compassionate ideas from the former Marist: mailing The Female Eunuch to the women of Iran and air-dropping vitamins to the Sudanese.’
- ‘You are invited to the Marist Laity Retreat this Wednesday, May 28 in the Marist Sisters Chapel, Tubbercurry.’
- ‘A race night in aid of St Joseph's Marist Convent Secondary School will be held in Walsh's Bar Main Street, Charlestown, on Friday November 18th.’
- ‘She entered the Marist Sisters Noviciate in Peckham, London and was professed in 1937.’
- ‘In early 1877 a lay petition to Rome was circulated throughout Canterbury in which various allegations were made about the Marist administration of the region.’
- ‘She is celebrating the Golden Jubilee of her profession as a Marist sister.’
- ‘The First Catholic missionaries, Marists, landed in Samoa in 1845.’
- ‘The Marist sisters celebrated their Centenary in October 2001, 100 years exactly after they set up their order in South Sligo.’
- ‘It was not until mid-1860 that Viard obtained the first resident priests for Christchurch, following repeated petitions to Rome and the arrival of additional Marists for the first time in sixteen years.’
- ‘This question was posed for me quite acutely by the fact that many of the myths which I recorded had already been collected and published in the 1 920s by the Marist priest Elie Tattevin.’
- ‘The monument comprises a Cupane Green sculpture in Indian Granite with an illustration of the Marist motto, together with a dedication inscription.’
- ‘The Marists viewed themselves initially as itinerant missionaries, prepared to answer spiritual needs wherever they might arise.’
- ‘In 1826, the Methodist Mission successfully introduced Christianity to Tonga, and Marists introduced Roman Catholicism in 1842.’
- ‘Still standing are the gates at the Marist convent he made as well as the step ladder at the old water tower beside North Connacht College at Connolly Park.’
- ‘Deepest sympathy is extended to her family and the Marist community.’
- ‘There was also the fact that he was a Marist Brother and I was educated by the Marists.’
2A member of the Little Brothers of Mary, a Roman Catholic teaching order.
Late 19th century: from French Mariste, from the given name Marie, equivalent of Mary.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.