One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of the Society of Mary, a Roman Catholic missionary and teaching order.
- ‘Many tributes have been paid to the late Brother Brian who was laid to rest in Athlone on Saturday last where he had spent most of his life as a teacher and latterly as Principal of the local Marist primary school.’
- ‘She entered the Marist Sisters Noviciate in Peckham, London and was professed in 1937.’
- ‘The Marists viewed themselves initially as itinerant missionaries, prepared to answer spiritual needs wherever they might arise.’
- ‘She is celebrating the Golden Jubilee of her profession as a Marist sister.’
- ‘The monument comprises a Cupane Green sculpture in Indian Granite with an illustration of the Marist motto, together with a dedication inscription.’
- ‘You are invited to the Marist Laity Retreat this Wednesday, May 28 in the Marist Sisters Chapel, Tubbercurry.’
- ‘There was also the fact that he was a Marist Brother and I was educated by the Marists.’
- ‘A race night in aid of St Joseph's Marist Convent Secondary School will be held in Walsh's Bar Main Street, Charlestown, on Friday November 18th.’
- ‘In 1826, the Methodist Mission successfully introduced Christianity to Tonga, and Marists introduced Roman Catholicism in 1842.’
- ‘He joined the Marist Order in the 11 th September, 1864 and later became Headmaster of the Sacred Heart School in the East End of Glasgow.’
- ‘In early 1877 a lay petition to Rome was circulated throughout Canterbury in which various allegations were made about the Marist administration of the region.’
- ‘The Mission winery in Hawkes Bay, founded by Catholic priests in 1851, is still in production and run as an adjunct to a Marist seminary.’
- ‘Still standing are the gates at the Marist convent he made as well as the step ladder at the old water tower beside North Connacht College at Connolly Park.’
- ‘A fashion show in aid of the Marist Convent will be held in the Yeats County Inn, Curry, on Thursday, October 27, at 8pm.’
- ‘Look out for other compassionate ideas from the former Marist: mailing The Female Eunuch to the women of Iran and air-dropping vitamins to the Sudanese.’
- ‘This question was posed for me quite acutely by the fact that many of the myths which I recorded had already been collected and published in the 1 920s by the Marist priest Elie Tattevin.’
- ‘The First Catholic missionaries, Marists, landed in Samoa in 1845.’
- ‘The Marist sisters celebrated their Centenary in October 2001, 100 years exactly after they set up their order in South Sligo.’
- ‘Deepest sympathy is extended to her family and the Marist community.’
- ‘It was not until mid-1860 that Viard obtained the first resident priests for Christchurch, following repeated petitions to Rome and the arrival of additional Marists for the first time in sixteen years.’
2A member of the Little Brothers of Mary, a Roman Catholic teaching order.
Late 19th century: from French Mariste, from the given name Marie, equivalent of Mary.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.