One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Idolatrous worship of the Virgin Mary.‘they accuse Catholics of Mariolatry’
- ‘The church was split by heresies concerning the person of Christ, while Mariolatry was practised to such an extent that even today many Muslims think the Christian Trinity comprises Father, Son and Mary.’
- ‘Instead, images of the Madonna abounded; they attest to a high point of Mariolatry during this period in the north.’
- ‘Mary, Mother of God is a cautious probing by mainly Protestant thinkers who are keenly aware that most Protestants are inclined to assume that Mariology is synonymous with Mariolatry.’
- ‘Having said this, surely it is necessary to understand Sienese civic Mariolatry within the context of the astonishing popularity of Mary throughout Europe in the late Middle Ages.’
- ‘Anti-Catholics would focus on certain issues, especially saints and Mariolatry, parochial schools, sacramentalism, convents, missions to the Indians, and Bible-reading in schools.’
Early 17th century: from Maria ( Latin equivalent of ‘Mary’) + -latry, on the pattern of idolatry.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.