One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A specially designed harbour with moorings for pleasure yachts and small boats.
- ‘All of these marinas have sailboats and powerboats for rent.’
- ‘The yacht marinas could bring money to the public purse both from the fees charged for transits and from tourists because a marina is an attraction on its own right.’
- ‘Many marinas, too many boats, lots of public and private facilities plus much of the infrastructure that goes with them were damaged.’
- ‘The marina harbours ships and yachts of the high and mighty as well as modest ones for the common man.’
- ‘Most of the materials were distributed through boating safety instructors, boating organizations and marinas.’
- ‘The eye of the hurricane passed over Abaco Island destroying most all of its many marinas and boats.’
- ‘The trust recently passed a resolution to create more marinas with residential moorings.’
- ‘Realism is never popular in boating, but the vast majority of boats in marinas seldom venture outside the breakwater.’
- ‘Hang around boats and marinas long enough and it also becomes clear that some breeds take naturally to the water.’
- ‘However, this is a canal basin with a few barges on it, not a yachting marina where you berth a boat ready to sail.’
- ‘It was all waiting for him at his ski lodge, beach house or yacht anchored in a marina.’
- ‘The problem is not the boats in the marina but the poor construction of the marinas.’
- ‘I would ask a fiberglass specialist at a local marina or even a surveyor to look at it.’
- ‘Visiting yachts will find several marinas on Paradise island itself and on East Bay Street, east of the bridge.’
- ‘Boat patrols from the ships toured the marinas of St George's to reassure Brits and relay messages to anxious relatives back in the UK.’
- ‘In 1997, the Foundation began providing kid's life jackets to marinas for boating families to borrow.’
- ‘Ft. Lauderdale marinas and boatyards also prominently advertise the program.’
- ‘Shanghai will build 10 marinas for yachts as boating starts to become part of the city's trendy lifestyle.’
- ‘That allowed regulatory agencies to issue construction permits for docks and marinas that have been stalled for months.’
- ‘Since marinas can rarely afford dock insurance, even if they could get it, the trend has been moving toward collecting from boat owners.’
Early 19th century: from Italian or Spanish, feminine of marino, from Latin marinus (see marine).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.