One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The cultivation of fish or other marine life for food.
- ‘In part this may be due to increased public awareness and expansion of mariculture or sea-farming, leading to a higher level of observation.’
- ‘The marine shellfish along the East London coastline also show consistent non-compliance with SA Water Quality Guidelines for mariculture.’
- ‘It is responsible for fish kills in mariculture operations in Japan and is reported to produce a neurotoxin related to those causing NSP.’
- ‘It appeared that development of new genotypes for seaweed mariculture would inevitably track the progress reported by crop scientists.’
- ‘The report also indicated a need for bio-diversity which could involve the communities in activities like mariculture.’
- ‘The aim is to train up local people, including staff in the national parks, in mariculture techniques and measuring stock.’
- ‘I also have a writ to stop any further logging here on grounds that it'll damage the environment for mariculture, and for historical reasons as well.’
- ‘The plans also include a bathymetric study of the Moy Estuary and Killala Bay as a means of raising awareness of the effects of agricultural pollution on mariculture and there will be an International conference with the other partners.’
- ‘Its five thematic areas relate to: integrated marine and coastal management; sustainable use of the resources concerned; marine and coastal protected areas, mariculture, and alien species.’
- ‘With careful planning, mariculture may be advanced in selected areas, which will certainly produce employment, food and foreign exchange.’
- ‘Fish production activities involve fishing, fish processing (including fish canning), as well as mariculture.’
- ‘We have found it in experimental lobster mariculture tanks where colonies completely cover the juvenile lobster with a brown fuzzy coat.’
Early 20th century: from Latin mare, mari- ‘sea’ + culture, on the pattern of words such as agriculture.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.