Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans.[as modifier] ‘the Mardi Gras parade’
- ‘The Grand Marshals shows a dapper older couple riding on a Mardi Gras float.’
- ‘They also have their eyes on ‘a stunning 1500 capacity venue in a secret location’ for a Mardi Gras party, apparently.’
- ‘Second place went to the Copmanthorpe Pre-School Playgroup for its rain forest-themed float and the Temple Lane Playgroup came third with its float which had a Mardi Gras theme.’
- ‘Back then, he was wearing the handsome uniform of the Fairfield (S.C.) Central High School marching band as part of a Mardi Gras parade.’
- ‘Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.’
- ‘Stanley mocks her more by telling her that her outfit is a Mardi Gras costume.’
- ‘You've got yourself this Mardi Gras outfit and a whole sack of illusions.’
- ‘No, actually, it's a Mardi Gras king cake, which my attorney was kind enough to send to my office Friday.’
- ‘A traditional King Cake will be served, and whoever gets the piece containing a bean will win a CD, a drink and a Mardi Gras crown.’
- ‘Officials say there will be a Mardi Gras in February.’
- ‘By the time the night of the dance arrived, Chub had acquired a Mardi Gras mask and an extra long raincoat to use as a costume.’
- ‘He had on some Mardi Gras beads, but his lips stood out the most… considering he had on really bright red lipgloss.’
- ‘The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.’
- ‘The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.’
- ‘They always had a Mardi Gras drink called the Hurricane.’
- ‘A man on the traffic signal above us started beating a Mardi Gras rhythm on a pot.’
- 1.1A carnival or fair held at any time.
- ‘And if you want Europeans to attend more then make it a Mardi Gras and I think then the mayor will have a tourist attraction.’
- ‘We went out on the town taking in a Mardi Gras like there was no tomorrow.’
- ‘When they exit they hear music, follow it, and stumble into a Mardi Gras.’
- ‘The annual Caribbean Carnival will top off the festival on June 20 with a Mardi Gras from 7pm-midnight and firework finale.’
French, literally fat Tuesday, alluding to the last day of feasting before the fast of Lent.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.