One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bloodsucking fly of the family Tabanidae, which feeds on mammals, especially horses.‘when the March flies start biting, the crocodiles are laying their eggs’
- ‘Maybe we can launch a class action against mosquitoes, march flies and anything else that might bite us.’
- ‘The family of march flies are closely related to the blood-sucking mosquitoes and sand flies.’
- ‘The tiny black bugs are 50 to 100 times smaller than a March fly.’
- ‘March flies were of great interest to another scientist safe from their stings in his mainland laboratory.’
- ‘Living things communicate by their actions, as with the stinging bite of the march fly.’
- ‘Graham tells of pulled pigtails and dead march flies in ink wells.’
- ‘A plague of March flies, which lasted about a week, worried us very much.’
- ‘The most important equipment was the tropical strength insect repellent to ward off the swarms of march flies.’
- ‘The bite of at least one march fly species - Mesomyia tryphera - can cause serious allergic reactions in some people.’
- ‘Doctors treated her for third-degree burns and welts from swarms of stinging black March flies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.