One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indic language spoken mainly in the western Indian state of Maharashtra.
- ‘It had only ‘Maharashtrian’ boys and naturally all the swayamsevaks used to speak only Marathi.’
- ‘Telugu, Marathi, Hindi, Urdu and English are dear to him.’
- ‘But he was unable to speak or write Marathi and fellow students taunted him.’
- ‘Kannada too has always borrowed from Sanskrit, Prakrit, Marathi, Parsi, Arabic, and so on at various points.’
- ‘The plays were in Hindi, English, Marathi and Gujarati.’
- ‘This segment of the festival had several local groups perform in four languages - English, Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati.’
- ‘Most of the officers I trained there speak only Marathi, a language spoken in Maharashtra.’
- ‘Outside the area, the term Maratha loosely identifies people who speak Marathi.’
- ‘It is a pleasant amalgam of Persian, Arabic, Marathi, and Hindustani with Konkani as its base.’
- ‘Besides, his novels have been translated in different languages such as Hindi, Marathi etc.’
- ‘However, most Congressmen who spoke Marathi insisted on a separate Maharashtra State.’
- ‘Once more the Elijah prayer is inscribed in Marathi (the local language used near Bombay) on the lower border of the image.’
- ‘He filled his days with Hindustani, Marathi and Persian, passing army exams.’
- ‘Nagarkar has written in Marathi and is firmly bilingual.’
- ‘Going forward, the channel proposes to beam programs in six languages, including Marathi.’
- ‘Kannada films are sure to perish like Marathi, Oriya and others if other language films are not restricted.’
- ‘Shantaram is set to be translated into Marathi this year.’
- ‘I don't know modern young metropolitan women, I'd say we don't have any writers in Marathi who've written about them.’
- ‘And can also speak Gujarati, Parsi, English, Hindi and Marathi.’
- ‘A versatile linguist, he has acted in every major regional language including Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi and Telegu.’
Relating to Marathi.
Marathi, from Marāṭhā Maratha.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.